THIS IS SOME SERIOUS CRAP

H2S gas kills a couple.

1. it stinks to high heaven (a sure sign to GTFO)
2. ran into some areas like it on my trip to Alaska. Lots of signs saying, GTFO.

A husband and wife are dead as a result of H₂S gas poisoning on October 26.

According to the Ector County Sheriff’s Office, Jacob Dean, 44, was called out by Aghorn Energy to the 2200 block of W. 49th Street to check a pump house.

When he had not returned home after some time, his wife, Natalee Dean, 37, started calling her husband. Knowing the location of the house, she decided to drive out and check on him.

Natalee brought the couple’s two children in the car with her.

Once Dean arrived at the pump house, she exited the vehicle and left the children inside the car. She then walked up to the house and was overtaken from exposure to the gas.

A supervisor at Aghorn Energy called law enforcement after he had not heard from Dean in some time.

The Ector County Sheriff’s Office and EMS arrived at the scene and found H₂S gas present at the house. Both Jacob and Natalee Dean died as a result of exposure to the gas.

Since the children were left inside the vehicle, they only had slight exposure to the gas. Both were taken to Medical Center Hospital and treated, and are now in the custody of grandparents.

The sheriff’s office is investigating.

This entry was posted in Misc. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to THIS IS SOME SERIOUS CRAP

  1. txnick77 says:

    As a public service to those who know nothing about H2S:

    1) Smells like rotten eggs. BUT!!! Though it may be easily smelled by some people at small concentrations, continuous exposure to even low levels of H2S quickly deadens the sense of smell (olfactory desensitization). Exposure to high levels of the gas can deaden the sense of smell instantly. Although the scent of H2S is a characteristic, smell is not a dependable indicator of H2S gas presence or for indicating increasing concentrations of the gas.

    2) It is a gas commonly found during the drilling and production of crude oil and natural gas, plus in wastewater treatment and utility facilities and sewers. The gas is produced as a result of the microbial breakdown of organic materials in the absence of oxygen. Colorless, flammable, poisonous and corrosive. With toxicity similar to carbon monoxide, which prevents cellular respiration, monitoring and early detection of H2S could mean the difference between life and death.

    3) H2S irritates the mucous membranes of the body and the respiratory tract, among other things. Following exposure, short-term, or acute, symptoms may include a headache, nausea, convulsions, and eye and skin irritation. Injury to the central nervous system can be immediate and serious after exposure. At high concentrations, only a few breaths are needed to induce unconsciousness, coma, respiratory paralysis, seizures, even death.

    The above is a cut and paste of some of the characteristics of the gas. As they say, read the whole thing:

    https://www.blacklinesafety.com/blog/h2s-gas-need-know

    I was on a project that vented a small amount of H2S, through a flare, to the atmosphere. One day, I was watching a murmur of birds flying, and some of them flew through the haze from the flare. About four of them dropped to the ground like golf balls. D.O.A.

    This is some bad stuff.

  2. Leonard Jones says:

    TXNick is right on about H2s. I worked many years in oil refineries for a private
    mechanical contractor. At the Chevron Refinery in El Segundo, I was working
    a shutdown. A foreman and I took orders from the crew and jumped into his
    utility truck to pick up some chow from a local fast food joint. The order was
    for about a dozen breakfast burritos because they made the best damn breakfast
    burritos on the planet!

    When we hit the guard shack, I smelled what I thought was rotten egg fart and
    I chided the foreman who responded by telling me that he did not cut one. We
    both yelled let’s get the fuck out of here! When we returned we found the area
    taped off and the FD was there with SCBA gear, and outside the perimeter, a
    Channel 7 Eyewitless News van.

    We spent about an hour or so on an extended break waiting for the all-clear
    signal. Take Nick’s advice, if you are driving near a refinery, paper mill, or
    chemical plant, and smell a rotten egg fart, hit your gas pedal like you are
    Mario Andretti on the last lap of a race! One of my former coworkers witnessed
    a worker pass out in a paper chest. A second guy when in after him, and he
    died too. This coworker did not know H2s from H20, so he no idea what
    the cause was. He had to be restrained to keep him from attempting to
    rescue the two victims. (a chest in a paper mill is a sort of underground
    vault or tank where wet paper pulp is stored) Rotting paper produces
    H2s just like Sour Crude!

Comments are closed.